$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Emmy 2012 prediction: Best drama series

If you don’t believe that we’re currently in a new Golden Age of television, then you haven’t seen any of the shows that are nominated for “outstanding drama series.”

The nominees are:

“Homeland” (Showtime)

“Breaking Bad” (AMC)

“Downton Abbey” (PBS)

“Boardwalk Empire” (HBO)

“Game of Thrones” (HBO)

“Mad Men” (AMC)

This race is going to be incredibly close. All of these shows already are outstanding and each has a strong base of fans. Just for the sake of clearing out the list early, I don’t think that “Game of Thrones” or “Boardwalk Empire” will win, solely because of the strong competitors.

“Homeland” is considered this year’s dark horse, but voters will probably recognize the performers as opposed to the overall show.

The winner of last year’s “outstanding miniseries” award, “Downton Abbey” is bound to shake up the race because it’s a new entry in this category, but it has a higher chance of winning because of its 2011 Emmy.  “Breaking Bad” also has a high chance of winning (courtesy of Giancarlo Esposito’s head), but it’s been nominated several times and has not won a best series Emmy yet.

If there’s one thing that Emmy-watchers can continuously count on, it’s that voters pick their favorite series and stick with it.  “Mad Men” will probably win another consecutive Emmy solely because it’s “Mad Men,” though I’m not-so-secretly hoping for “Game of Thrones” to snag the statue.

After all, winter is coming.

$1495
$2000