$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Flop Turned Cult Classic “Newsies” to Grace Broadway

%image_alt%The once box—office musical flop turned “DCOM” darling Newsies comes to Broadway starting March 15th! Newsies is based on the Newsboy Strike of 1899, and this production taps Ben Fankhauser, Jeremy Jordan, Andrew Keegan-Bolger, and Kara Lindsay as the revolutionary whistle—blowers.

The 1992 movie starred Christian Bale, Bill Pullman, Robert Duvall and Ann-Margret. Despite this great casting the movie flopped big time, raking in less than $3 million at the box-office in comparison to its $15 million pricetag.  (In)Famous critic Leonard Martin even christened the film “Howard the Paperboy” referencing another major Disney flop of its time: Howard the Duck. Despite its first, frigid reception, the VHS release and subsequent Disney Channel replays in 2002 elevated the film to the world of the DCOM franchise(cause come on, who doesn’t love DCOMs?), and generated a decent cult following. On the surprising film fanbase, Bale stated “You say something bad about Newsies and you have an awful lot of people to answer to.” Methinks this buried film-flop turned cult classic angle sounds eerily similar…

The Room: The Musical! Coming to Broadway 2013.

All jokes aside, Newsies looks to be a very promising revamp of a previously snubbed outing. Check out Broadway.com’s On the Scene Meet and Greet with the stars here for some friendly banter! Newsies runs March 15th through June 10th.

$1375
$2000