$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Showtime gives ‘Homeland’ another season

Is this proof that the Emmys actually have clout within the television industry?

Showtime’s “Homeland,” which swept the drama category at the 2012 Emmy ceremony, was recently renewed for a third season. The show is currently in currently in the middle of its second season.

Based on “Homeland”’s ratings, the move make sense.  The premiere episode of season two has had 5.2 million viewers (across multiple media platforms) and has averaged 4.4 million viewers throughout the current season. Last night’s episode was also a ratings high for the series.

Season three will begin production in spring 2013, which means that it will most likely premiere in September — in line with the schedule that has already been established for the show.

This season pickup comes at a time when many other shows are either being extended or renewed. ABC recently issued extended season orders for “Castle,” “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Modern Family” and “The Middle.” Fox also just renewed “The X Factor” for a third season as well.

As cable networks don’t operate on the tradition television schedules that broadcast networks do, it’s likely that renewal, cancellation and pickup decisions will come at varying times throughout the year.

$1495
$2000