•  

November 23, 2017   |   Ithaca, NY

Life & Culture

Apple of Ithaca’s eye: Ithacans celebrate 34th applefest

The festival is a trademark of the Ithaca community, and people from all over New York state come to celebrate with seasonal food, handmade crafts, farm animals, games, giveaways, live performances from local artists.  SAM FULLER/THE ITHACAN Freshly picked apples are a popular trademark of the autumn season. SAM FULLER/THE ITHACAN Vince Russo serves gourmet caramel-apple cups to guests at the festival Oct. 2. Apple Cider doughnuts and maple syrup cotton candy were also available treats.  SAM FULLER/THE ITHACAN Johary River purchases gourmet caramel apples topped with whip cream. MARISSA PROULX/THE ITHACAN Michael Hilby juggles three flaming poles while riding a unicycle. Hilby has performed at the festival in years past.  ELISE KORFONTA/THE ITHACAN Nicole Beckman walks her spray-painted dog, Ira The Dragon, around The Commons as onlookers  admire the pup’s intricate design. Behind them, freshly squeezed lemonade is served to customers. ELISE KORFONTA/THE ITHACAN Ithaca locals Julie Costie and Bruce McKee dance to swing music Oct. 2 while a band plays on a stage by Seneca Street.  SAM FULLER/THE ITHACAN
<
>
The festival is a trademark of the Ithaca community, and people from all over New York state come to celebrate with seasonal food, handmade crafts, farm animals, games, giveaways, live performances from local artists. SAM FULLER/THE ITHACAN

The Downtown Ithaca Alliance hosts the 34th annual Apple Harvest Festival on The Commons. The event features a variety of apple products, baked goods, entertainment and games.