•  

April 20, 2018   |   Ithaca, NY

Life & Culture

In My Own Words: Murals and Graffiti as Art in Public Spaces

This week on “In My Own Words,” Glenn Epps spoke with Caleb Thomas, a local muralist and graffiti artist who co-founded Ithaca Murals, a group that connects local artists and muralists with surfaces to paint on. Thomas shares how Ithaca Murals came to be — as an advocate for social justice and equity, a promoter of town pride and beautification, and a pipeline for public discourse. On the topic of public discourse through art, the two discuss the messages of solicited (murals) and unsolicited (graffiti) art in public spaces.

Below is a gallery of some of the artwork in the Ithaca area:

Ithaca Murals is a group that connects muralists with workspaces around Ithaca. COURTESY OF ITHACA MURALS The Muslim Culture Mural is located in the Ithaca parking garage. The mural is titled "PORTALS TO PEACE" and was conceived and painted by muralist Lachlan Chambliss with help from many Ithaca volunteers. COURTESY OF ITHACA MURALS An artist created a stencil graffiti mural of Michelle Alexander’s quote from “The New Jim Crow.” COURTESY OF ITHACA MURALS Local muralist and cartoonist, Jim Garmhausen, painted the little men teetering and tottering around the archway in Waffle Frolic in The Commons in Ithaca titled "Mural Inside Waffle Frolic." COURTESY OF ITHACA MURALS "Lost Cat" is part of a series of pop-up graffiti tags in the.stick.cat series in Ithaca. COURTESY OF ITHACA MURALS Jonathan Matas painted an Underground Railroad Mural “On the Masters Horse” beneath the overpass on Green St. COURTESY OF ITHACA MURALS An artist made stencil graffiti of Public Enemy hype-man Flavor Flav as a silhouette of a slave on a boat in the “On the Master’s Horse” mural. COURTESY OF ITHACA MURALS "Love Conquers All" by Sean Chilson, located on Green St. in The Ithaca Commons. COURTESY OF ITHACA MURALS Students in the Ithaca School District made squares for a mosaic assembled by Anne Marie Zwack that depicts the South end of Cayuga Lake and tributaries. The piece is titled the "Watershed Wall." COURTESY OF ITHACA MURALS French graffiti artist Amir Roti painted the "Mural on Curved Wall Across from City Hall" in 2011. COURTESY OF ITHACA MURALS
<
>
The Muslim Culture Mural is located in the Ithaca parking garage. The mural is titled "PORTALS TO PEACE" and was conceived and painted by muralist Lachlan Chambliss with help from many Ithaca volunteers. COURTESY OF ITHACA MURALS

If you have any questions or comments about this or any other “In My Own Words,” please contact Glenn Epps @glenn_epps_ on Twitter or by email gepps@ithaca.edu.