•  

November 23, 2017   |   Ithaca, NY

Life & Culture

Ithaca celebrates winter season with Fire and Ice Festival

To celebrate winter, the Ithaca Children’s Garden, a local organization that offers educational events for children, held the Festival of Fire and Ice on Feb. 4 in Cass Park.

Performer Amanda McLaughlin dances with two five-pronged candelabras set aflame at the Festival of Fire and Ice. The free event had a suggested donation of $5 per person. MAXINE HANSFORD /THE ITHACAN Two-year-old Jess Tanasoul grabs hold of a cowbell as her mother watches carefully. The three-hour event had snow mounds for children to climb on, slide down and dig through. MAXINE HANSFORD /THE ITHACAN	Families gather around a fire in the center of Cass Park. Children launched snowballs and ice into the fire as the event came to a close.  ANDREW TREVES/THE ITHACAN Children fill bottles with nontoxic tinted dyes in an experimental play area for snow coloring. The event also featured an area for children to make paper lanterns and fire kits, and explore the garden. ANDREW TREVES /THE ITHACAN To celebrate winter, the Ithaca Children’s  Garden, a local organization that offers  educational events for children, held the  Festival of Fire and Ice on Feb. 4 in Cass Park.  ANDREW TREVES/ THE ITHACAN
<
>
Children fill bottles with nontoxic tinted dyes in an experimental play area for snow coloring. The event also featured an area for children to make paper lanterns and fire kits, and explore the garden. ANDREW TREVES /THE ITHACAN