$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Alumnus Elijah Breton ’16 loses race for representative seat

Amanda Den Hartog/The Ithacan
Ithaca College Alumnus Elijah Breton ’16 lost the seat representing Maine’s 65th district to incumbent Republican Eleanor Espling.

Following an eight-month-long campaign, Ithaca College alumnus Elijah Breton ’16 has lost an election for a seat representing the 65th district in Maine’s House of Representatives.

Breton, who majored in sports studies and communication studies while at the college, ran on the Democratic ticket against incumbent Republican Eleanor Espling of New Gloucester, who won her fourth consecutive term.

While a student at the college, Breton served as a Student Government Association senator for the School of Health Sciences and Human Performance. While a senior at the college, Breton was active in demonstrations led by the group POC at IC, which challenged the college community’s racial climate.

Breton ran on a campaign supporting local businesses, adding jobs with renewable energy and enforcing fair state funding for public schools.

Breton said though he was disappointed with the outcome of the election, he knows he ran a fair campaign.

“I put a lot of time and effort in, and I was really dedicated,” Breton said. “I knocked on at least 3,000 doors.”

Though he was not financially supported by the state’s Democratic establishment, Breton was just as competitive as candidates who were, said Penny Hilton, a member of the campaign team for Breton’s candidacy. She said this was the result of extensive public outreach, including going door to door within the community and gaining the support of local politicians.

“His hard work paid off,” Hilton said. “When I was standing with him at the polls … people would step forward and say, ‘Elijah! You came to my house twice!’ and they would shake his hand.”

$1375
$2000