$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Annual Cornell Dump and Run sale kicks off

Students will yet again be able to get rid of extra clutter or pick up some new items for their dorm at the ninth annual Cornell University Dump and Run.

The sale will take place from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday in the Helen Newman Gym on Cornell’s North Campus.

The student-run sale collects items from students and faculty who left in May and sells them during freshman orientation weekend. New and used sporting goods, electronics, office supplies and organizers will also be available for both Cornell and Ithaca College students.

Cornell Junior Nicholas McCormick, volunteer coordinator for the event, said the Dump and Run has always had great turnout and is highly anticipated by incoming students.

“A lot of students absolutely love coming to the sale because it’s a great deal,” he said. “Last year, we sold roughly a little over $40,000 worth of stuff. That’s about $3,000 made every hour.”

For the past eight years, proceeds have gone to local charities. This year’s recipients include Cop’s, Kids and Toys, Greater Ithaca Activities Center, Loaves and Fishes, Shelter Outreach Services and The United Way of Tompkins County.

McCormick said Cornell’s version of the event is modeled after Dump and Run Inc., a national organization dedicated to waste prevention, which was founded in 2000 and has hosted sales at more than 20 colleges and universities.

McCormick said it’s a great way to help people, while getting a bargain.

“Every year we have lots of people show up and make tons of money that go straight to helping people in need and bettering the local community in the process.”

$1495
$2000