$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Ball raises funds and awareness

Colleges Against Cancer held its annual Pink Ribbon Ball Thursday in the Mondo Gym of the Fitness Center and the more than 100 students in attendance raised $325 for the American Cancer Society.

Ithaca College senior Shari Kaplan, a co-chairperson for Colleges Against Cancer and one of the dance’s organizers, said she enjoys organizing the event every year.

“It’s a fun activity that a lot of people do,” she said. “It’s a fun, creative way to raise money for the American Cancer Society and to play along with the pink theme for breast cancer.”

Attendees at the semi formal wore a variety of pink and purple attire — recognizing their support of breast cancer awareness month — and danced to top radio hits provided by DJ Rob Grimaldi.

Many students said they heard about the event on Facebook and came with friends.  Others, like freshman Claire Dehm encouraged members of her residence hall floor, Lyon Hall, to attend this and other events on campus.

“They’re a lot of fun,” said Dehm.  “And besides, they’re for good cause and they’re really cheap.”

For freshman Christina Neist, the event was more significant given her personal connection to the issue. Neist said some of her family members have had cancer and coming to events similar is important for her.

“Everyone knows someone – at least one person, who has had cancer,” Neist said.  “If I see anything for cancer, I feel like I need to go.”

In addition to providing a fun and festive atmosphere, Kaplan said the goal of the event was to also to educate.  Hung between the pink balloons taped to the wall, were facts and statistics relating to breast cancer awareness.

“People, whether they realize it or not, are learning about breast cancer statistics and their becoming aware of it,” Kaplan said.  “It’s just one more reminder in their heads, thinking ‘yeah, I should remind my family members and loved ones to do self-breast examinations and make healthy decisions.’”

The dance also featured a performance by IC Dance Club, whose newest members exhibited two choreographed pieces — a cha-cha and a rumba.  Junior Geoffrey Pressor, a member of IC Ballroom, said the dance was a good opportunity for their newest members to display their talents.

“They’ve been practicing for a few weeks and they’re glad they’re done,” he said.

Kaplan said the last year’s event was successful. The dance was held in Emerson Suites and attracted an audience of similar proportion, raising roughly $600.  The proceeds were also donated to the American Cancer Society.

“I think everyone that was here seemed to be really happy and having a really good time and that’s basically the whole reason why we do this,” she said.  “We do this for people to have a good time and to become educated on breast cancer and to become aware of it.”

$1495
$2000