$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Center for IDEAS initiates a more representative name change

Malik Clement
The Center for IDEAS also announced dates for focus group sessions for students to be involved in the name change process.

In an email sent to students March 31, Ithaca College’s Center for Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Social Change announced that it will be undergoing a name change. The announcement also shared dates for focus group sessions for students to participate in regarding the change.

According to the email, this title change is based on feedback provided to the Center for IDEAS by students. The college’s student leaders proposed changing the name of the center to accurately represent how the center serves as an on-campus resource for students of color. 

Angélica Carrington, director of the Center for IDEAS, said in the email that, based on students’ feedback, the center will be evaluating new titles that will depict a wide range of initiatives from the Center for IDEAS.

“One of the reasons for this change is that students and community members are confused by the current name and as a result do not seek out training, support or outreach from the Center when it would be helpful.” Carrington said in the email. “Therefore, there will be a name change to better align with the vision of the division of Student Affairs and Campus Life: To provide Students of Color with support, resources, programs, and a sense of belonging at Ithaca College.”

Carrington reiterated the vision of the center in the email. Carrington said the center will provide sessions and workshops about race and inclusivity, collaborate with staff, faculty and other on-campus offices to better understand the concept of intersectionality, and discuss how power structures at the college might impact students of color. 

Carrington also wrote in the email that the Center for IDEAS will work with the newly established Center for Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging to amplify resources. 

Carrington also invited students in an email sent March 31 to take part in a focus group to discuss the center’s title change. The focus group session was conducted at 4:30 p.m. April 3 in the Cayuga Lake Room.

In another email sent April 4, Carrington invited students to a second focus group session, which will be held from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. April 17 in the Center for IDEAS lounge. 

“We also seek your perspective on what the role of the Center could or should be focused on, all towards the goal of furthering our support of Students of Color at Ithaca College,” Carrington wrote in the email. 

Carrington added that feedback collected from participants of the focus group will be sent to Bonnie Prunty, vice president of Student Affairs and Campus Life, and to the President’s Cabinet down the line. 

“We thank you ahead of time for your voice in aiding and guiding us as we work with intentionality to ensure the Center reflects stakeholders like you and meets the needs of the Student of Color population at Ithaca College,” Carrington wrote.

$1495
$2000