$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

College recommends flu vaccine but will not hold a clinic

Courtesy of the Tompkins County Health Department
The college informed students this clinic will not be available for Fall 2022 because of the many locations in the community offering flu vaccines.

Ithaca College released updates in a Sept. 22 Intercom post regarding the options available for receiving a flu vaccine this semester.

In past years, the college has sponsored an on-campus clinic — the Flu Point of Dispensing (POD) exercise — where students could show up and get their flu vaccine for free. 

The post — signed by Hayley Harris, vice president for Human Resources and Planning, and Bonnie Prunty, vice president for Student Affairs and Campus Life — said students can receive flu vaccines at the Hammond Health Center by appointment only. 

The announcement also stated that any employee who is on a college-sponsored health insurance plan through Aetna will be covered to get a flu shot from any health care provider or pharmacy that is within the plan.

The post said the college strongly encourages all members of the campus community to be vaccinated against the flu.

“Receiving a flu shot is an important way to not only protect yourself from serious illness as a result of the influenza virus, but also helps to promote the collective health of our campus community,” the Intercom post said.

In the Ithaca community, pharmacies are also providing flu shots, including CVS Pharmacy, Walgreens, Kinney Drugs, Rite Aid, Walmart and Wegmans. 

Jennifer Metzgar, IC Affiliate for the Center for Counseling, Health and Wellness, said via email that the decision not to sponsor the Flu POD clinic was unrelated to the new partnership with Cayuga Medical Center.

$1375
$2000