•  

August 23, 2017   |   Ithaca, NY

News

Emergency Rally: I.C.E Out!

Ithaca residents gather at the Bernie Milton pavilion in support of a Mexican national arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers. SAM FULLER/ THE ITHACAN Doa Abdel-Ghany speaks at the Bernie Milton Pavilion on the Ithaca Commons. SAM FULLER/ THE ITHACAN Ithaca residents gather at the Bernie Milton pavilion in support of a Mexican national arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers. SAM FULLER/ THE ITHACAN Ithaca mayor Svante Myrick gives encouraging words to Ithaca residents at the Emergency Rally. SAM FULLER/ THE ITHACAN Ithaca local Phoebe Brown follows in a chant of "I believe that we will win!" with members of the Ithaca community. SAM FULLER/ THE ITHACAN
<
>
Ithaca residents gather at the Bernie Milton pavilion in support of a Mexican national arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers. SAM FULLER/ THE ITHACAN

An “emergency rally” was held on The Commons on May 3 to protest the recent arrest of a man, only identified as “Jose,” by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents in Ithaca. The Mexican immigrant doesn’t appear to have a criminal record, according to speakers at the event. Local immigrant rights advocates spoke to a crowd of more than 200 at the Bernie Milton Pavilion with guests such as Ithaca mayor Svante Myrick and a close friend of the man. Speakers said ICE agents are not welcome in Ithaca and do not reflect the morals of the town or its people. This comes months after Ithaca passed legislation labeling it a sanctuary city.