$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Graduate Physician Assistant program receives grant

File Photo/The Ithacan
The college’s Graduate Physician Assistant program is set for accreditation and will be housed in the Rothschild Building in Downtown Ithaca. 

Ithaca College has received a $1,580,627 grant for its new Graduate Physician Assistant program. 

The college received the grant from the Higher Education Capital Matching Grant Program (HECap). The HECap program provides capital grants to higher education institutions that support training in health sciences to fund the purchase of equipment and the construction or renovation of facilities on or near college campuses in New York state. The program is run through the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York (DASNY), which provides construction, funding and other services for groups involved in health care, higher education and public use facilities.  

Over $57 million was awarded to 35 colleges March 12, a March 16 statement from Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. Campuses that receive grants are required to invest at least $3 of their own funds for every $1 of state funds they receive, according to the statement. This means that the college will be investing at least $4,741,881.

“As New York builds back, these investments are targeted to help attract and train people for the health sciences jobs that New York needs as we continue to reopen and reimagine our economy, and to strengthen and enhance our world-leading institutions of higher education,” Cuomo said in the statement. “This grant program provides our students with the tools they need to thrive and become New York’s future leaders, scientists and frontline workers.”   

Dave Maley, director of public relations, said the college is restricted from discussing the program until it is approved and therefore cannot disclose how the grant will be used.

“We hope to be able to make an announcement about this soon,” Maley said via email.

$1495
$2000