$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

IC participates in demonstration against structural violence

By Alexis Forde and Sara Kim

After a grand jury announced its decision Dec. 3 to not press charges against New York police officer Daniel Pantaleo for the death of Eric Garner by chokehold on July 17, protesters have held rallies and lie-down demonstrations nationwide.

At Ithaca College, over 300 students took part in a die-in protest on Dec. 4 in three areas of campus: outside of Emerson Suites, IC Square and in front of the college’s Information Desk.

Students marched, rallied and lay down in the three areas of campus while chanting phrases like “hands up, don’t shoot” and “no peace, no justice” to bring attention to issues of structural violence and racial injustice.

The protest lasted approximately 40 minutes.

Die-in
Students take part in the lie down demonstration on Dec. 4 in front of Ithaca College’s Information Desk in Campus Center. Jennifer Williams/The Ithacan
Die-in-3
Students march on Dec. 4 to protest against the grand jury’s Dec. 3 decision to place no charges Officer Daniel Pantaleo for the death of Eric Garner by chokehold on July 17. Jennifer Williams/The Ithacan
Over 300 students at Ithaca College raise their hands on Dec. 4 in Peggy Ryan Williams to protest in response to the death of Eric Garner, who died by chokehold on July 17.  Jennifer Williams/The Ithacan
Over 300 students at Ithaca College raise their hands on Dec. 4 in Peggy Ryan Williams to protest in response to the death of Eric Garner, who died by chokehold on July 17. Jennifer Williams/The Ithacan
$1495
$2000