$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Ithaca College Model European Union team attends conference

Ithaca College’s Model European Union team helped run, and was recognized at, a conference last week that drew delegations from around the world.

At the SUNY Model European Union 2015 in New York City, students represented country delegations at a mock European Council Summit and debated issues confronting Europe, such as military actions within the continent. The Ithaca College team, headed by sophomore Joshua Kelly, ran simulations alongside the City University of New York, which hosted the conference March 25 through 28. Students represented country delegations at a mock European Council Summit and debated issues confronting Europe, such as military actions within the continent.

Kelly said he played the role of president of the European Council, and senior Noreyana Fernando acted as the editor-in-chief of the press corps for the conference. The college’s team as a whole played the Secretariat, or the head of the European Council, running simulations throughout the weekend of the decision processes of five key committees of the European Council, Kelly said.

Kelly said the experiences of running parliamentary procedures and conferences, and exploring the policies of the European Union — not always a topic of discussion in the United States — constituted an invaluable cultural and worldly experience.

“Overall, I don’t hesitate when I say that this was the single greatest educational experience of my life so far,” he said.

$1375
$2000