$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Ithaca College prepares for Martin Luther King Jr. Day

The Ithaca College community will celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday, Jan. 19. Activities will be held all day, starting at 10 a.m. and running until 7:30 p.m.

The day will start with two workshop sessions, the first from 10–11:45 a.m. and the second from 2–3:30 p.m. Each session features three different educational workshops such as “Beyond Dreaming: And What If Black Lives Don’t Matter?” and “Exploring Privilege and Oppression.” All of the workshop events can be found on OrgSync.

After the morning workshop, participants can attend the Grab & Go Lunchtime Film at noon in Textor 102. Attendees are encouraged to bring lunch to the viewing and discussion of “All That Remains” presented by senior Crystal Kayiza, president of the Student Government Association.

The main event will begin at 4 p.m. in Emerson Suites with presentations by the college’s freshman MLK Scholars. Following the presentations, keynote speaker Ash Beckham, known best for her TED Talk “Coming Out of Your Closet,” will give her speech “Give Voice to Your Truth.”

The day will conclude with a concert by students and faculty of the Whalen Center for Music at 7:30 p.m in Ford Hall. This year’s performance is entitled “The Dream Never Dies.” Students, faculty and the Dorothy Cotton Jubilee Singers will perform during the concert. The Keepers of the Dream Ensemble, a group of the college’s MLK scholars and students, will perform for the first time.

But the MLK celebration does not end there. It continues with the MLK Day of Service on Saturday, Jan. 24. Participants may choose from 11 organizations to volunteer with, including The Salvation Army and Friends of the Tompkins County Public Library. Volunteers must fill out a form indicating which organization they would like to help out.

$1375
$2000