•  

September 23, 2017   |   Ithaca, NY

News

Students shocked as Donald Trump elected president

Around Ithaca College’s campus the morning after the 2016 presidential election, many students embraced and cried, while others celebrated, following the stunning upset by Republican presidential nominee, and now president-elect, Donald Trump.

At election-night viewing parties around campus, it was generally assumed that Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, who had a stubborn lead in the polls before election night, would win.  However, the gatherings turned mute as the numbers flipped for Trump. As the numbers settled, students and groups across the political spectrum reflected on the imminent: a Trump administration.

Junior Kyle Stewart, president of IC Republicans, said he was shocked by the results of the election and expressed concerns about the direction of the Republican Party under the leadership of Trump.

“I’ve been Never-Trump since the beginning,” said Stewart, also a political columnist for The Ithacan. “My biggest hope was that Republicans would see this as a wake-up call to rebuild and to look at our flaws and completely change the way we do this. But they won, so now we have to somehow adapt the party and change the party while there’s a Republican president in office who is barely conservative, which is crazy.”

The night began on a surprising note when states like Florida and North Carolina, both critical swing states, began to sway toward Trump. Later in the night, Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania — states many pollsters and political analysts wrongly predicted would go to Clinton — were closer than expected before going to Trump. With this, he ultimately secured the election.

Senior Catherine Proulx, chairperson of IC Progressives, said she is frustrated about the results of the election because of the rhetoric that Trump used to win the presidency. She said she thinks he will likely undo many progressive pieces of legislation.

“I felt that Donald Trump’s whole candidacy was based off of hateful rhetoric regarding a lot of marginalized groups,” she said. “I am a queer woman. I obviously directly feel the impact of a lot of what he was saying. It is definitely really frustrating and infuriating to hear that half of the country not only voted for him but actively supports that ideology.”

President Tom Rochon reminded the campus community about respect in a Nov. 9 announcement after he allegedly heard about racist interactions on campus in relation to the election.

“The electoral campaign has been long, difficult, and polarizing,” he wrote in the statement. “The outcome of the presidential election was surprising to many of us, including most pundits, which has heightened emotions on both sides of the partisan divide. Those emotions are no excuse for racist, harassing, or uncivil behavior. We must commit to supporting each other’s welfare, and to engaging in respectful dialogue even – or, especially – with those whose political positions are different from our own.”

Senior David Heffernan, president of IC Young Americans for Liberty, a libertarian group on campus, said he was not surprised by the results of the election.

“I’m not really surprised; I’m not happy about it, but I had a pretty strong feeling he was going to win for the past few weeks,” he said. “It is very clear that the people that make up our country are very polarized, now more so than ever.”

Junior Marieme Foote, president of the Student Governance Council, said she was shocked and disappointed by Trump’s victory.

“I’m still processing it,” she said. “I guess literally everything that he stands for is a problem.There are a lot of problems. I haven’t processed this at all. I don’t think that a lot of students have either. ”

Others, like sophomore Nick Poggi, said they were excited by Trump’s victory.

“I feel pretty great, actually,” he said. “I knew it was going to be close. I actually thought Hillary was going to win, but Trump’s overwhelming support in some of the swing states kind of changed the whole election. As soon as he won Florida, Pennsylvania it was kind of over.”

Though he thinks some of Trump’s policies are extreme, Poggi said he believes Trump will ultimately change the U.S. for the better. A defining reason Poggi said he voted for Trump was because of his support for veterans, which he said he thought Clinton did not talk about enough in her campaign.

At an electionnight viewing party in Friends Hall, organized by senior Alexandra Skolnick, students were visibly frustrated watching the election. Each time Trump was projected to win a state, students booed the screen. Conversely, students applauded and clapped when states went to Clinton. Many people stayed until 1:30 a.m. or later, anxiously waiting for the results to roll in.

The result stunned junior Colby Daboul.

“I was having a very hard time admitting it to myself that that would be the end result,” he said. “I was pretty startled, and I’m still adjusting to it. I think that people that are disappointed with the outcome need to remember that we have two years. There are midterm elections that can be crucial in two years.”

Freshman Amy Manchester, who was present at Skolnick’s party, said she refuses to support Trump.

“It was great being able to share this first election experience where I had the chance to vote with all of my friends,” she said. “We were all Hillary supporters, and we helped each other stay positive for as long as possible. Personally, I was very upset with the results of the election and cannot support Donald Trump until he truly makes a change for the better in America.”

Donald Trump will take office Jan. 20, 2017.

Assistant News Editor Grace Elletson contributed reporting to this article.

The Ithacan‘s election live blog is below.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20167:21 pm

The Ithacan will be live-blogging tonight’s election results. Check back for updates throughout the night.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20167:22 pm

The Associated Press has called the state of Vermont and its three electoral votes for Hillary Clinton.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20167:23 pm

Donald Trump has won Kentucky and its eight electoral votes and Indiana’s 11 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Mary Ford November 8, 20167:32 pm

Donald Trump has won West Virginia and its five electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20167:34 pm

The Ithacan Contributing Writer Samantha Mendiguren is at the Student Activities Board event at IC Square. Around 30 people are at that event, watching the election results on a large screen and eating provided food.

Mary Ford November 8, 20167:34 pm

Senator Robert Portman (R) has been re-elected in Ohio, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20167:40 pm

Students watch early election results from CNN in IC Square. Fernando Ferraz/The Ithacan

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20167:43 pm

Students watch election results on CNN in IC Square. Fernando Ferraz/The Ithacan

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20167:55 pm

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20167:56 pm

“I’m a little nervous, but I’m pretty confident that Hillary Clinton will win,” sophomore Dan McCaffrey, who is at the IC Square watch party and voted for Clinton, said. “I just want to make sure the small chance Trump wins doesn’t happen, so I’m all over it.”

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20167:58 pm
“I’m not surprised so far because of the states that have come through,” sophomore Katie Woodilla, who voted for Clinton and is at the IC Square watch party, said. “I think it will be a nail biter. The fact that Trump could possibly be president is the reason everyone is so crazed.”
Aidan Quigley November 8, 20167:59 pm
“I’m not surprised so far because of the states that have come through,” sophomore Katie Woodilla, who voted for Clinton and is at the IC Square watch party, said. “I think it will be a nail-biter. The fact that Trump could possibly be president is the reason everyone is so crazed.”
Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:04 pm

Students watch the election returns at the Student Activities Board election night watch party. Fernando Ferraz/The Ithacan

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:05 pm

Democrat John Carney is re-elected as governor in Delaware, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:06 pm
“I’m from Ohio, so I’m waiting for Ohio. It’s pretty early so I’m not surprised yet but we will see when Florida comes in,” Fiona Lynch, a junior who voted for Clinton and is at the IC Square watch party, said. “I think Hillary will win by a lot. I just personally think that she is the safer bet because he is kind of insane. His views are extreme so hopefully America agrees.”
Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:09 pm

Students attend the watch party at IC Square. Fernando Ferraz/The Ithacan

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:10 pm

Hillary Clinton has won Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware and the District of Columbia, giving her a total of 44 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:11 pm
“I’m from Ohio, so I’m waiting for Ohio,” junior Fiona Lynch, who voted for Clinton and is at the IC Square watch party, said. “It’s pretty early, so I’m not surprised yet, but we will see when Florida comes in. I think Hillary will win by a lot. I just personally think that she is the safer bet because he is kind of insane. His views are extreme — so hopefully, America agrees.”
Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:11 pm

Trump has won Oklahoma and its seven electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:12 pm
“Not at all surprised that Hillary is ahead now,” freshman Bron Pedulla-Smith, who voted for Hillary Clinton and is at the IC Square watch party, said. “I have full confidence that she will win. I don’t think Trump has any chance at all. A lot of people say they’re scared, but I’m not.”
Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:13 pm

Donald Trump has won South Carolina with its nine electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:16 pm

Democrat Chris Van Hollen has been elected senator in Maryland, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:17 pm

Community Engagement Manager Maura Aleardi is at the watch party in Textor 103. About 20 people are at that watch party.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:17 pm

Donald Trump has won Tennessee and its 11 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:18 pm
“It’s really scary how close the popular vote is,” senior Ellie Holleran, who is at the Textor watch party, said. “I’m really worried about the swing states. I’m from Connecticut so I know that’s going to be a Hillary state. Everything is such close calls especially now that people are voting for third party candidates. I’m concerned with how close the senate election is because if Clinton is president with a republican majority senate it’s going to be so hard for her to pass things.”
Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:21 pm

Staff Writer Ryan King is at the watch party in Friends 306. It is organized by senior Alex Skolnick. “It’s important to be together at a time where history will be made either way,” she said. “And regardless of being for or against anyone, I think it is important to be together and to experience this as a community”

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:22 pm
“It’s really scary how close the popular vote is,” senior Ellie Holleran, who is at the Textor watch party, said. “I’m really worried about the swing states. I’m from Connecticut, so I know that’s going to be a Hillary state. Everything is such close calls, especially now that people are voting for third party candidates. I’m concerned with how close the senate election is because if Clinton is president with a republican majority senate it’s going to be so hard for her to pass things.”
Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:22 pm

Donald Trump has a total of 51 electoral votes, and Hillary Clinton has a total of 44 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:22 pm
“It’s really scary how close the popular vote is,” senior Ellie Holleran, who is at the Textor watch party, said. “I’m really worried about the swing states. I’m from Connecticut, so I know that’s going to be a Hillary state. Everything is such close calls, especially now that people are voting for third-party candidates. I’m concerned with how close the senate election is because if Clinton is president with a Republican-majority senate, it’s going to be so hard for her to pass things.”
Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:23 pm

Staff Writer Ryan King is at the watch party in Friends 306. It is organized by senior Alex Skolnick. “It’s important to be together at a time where history will be made either way,” she said. “And regardless of being for or against anyone, I think it is important to be together and to experience this as a community.”

Mary Ford November 8, 20168:28 pm

Trump wins Alabama with its 9 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:30 pm

Richard Shelby (R) is re-elected to the Senate for Alabama, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:31 pm

Todd Young (R) is elected to Senate for Indiana, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:33 pm

Trump has a total of 60 electoral votes, with Hillary Clinton still at 44 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:33 pm

“I used to be a republican, but seeing this election shows me that I don’t really fit in with the party,” said freshman Alex Spanos, who changed her political orientation due to this election. “I’m supposed to vote for Trump but I think he is a bigot and I think Hillary is a moron. I think Clinton will win because Trump would need more swing states and I don’t think the vast majority of the people want him.”

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:39 pm

“I used to be a Republican, but seeing this election shows me that I don’t really fit in with the party,” freshman Alex Spanos, who changed her political orientation due to this election, said. “I’m supposed to vote for Trump, but I think he is a bigot, and I think Hillary is a moron. I think Clinton will win because Trump would need more swing states, and I don’t think the vast majority of the people want him.”

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:41 pm

“I’m so nervous. They are too close for comfort,” said senior Morgan Alteio. “I expected them to be close but with a little more of a gap than there is. I have faith she will pull through, you have to have faith but I’m anxious for her. I feel like I’m more anxious because the people at my home are republican but I feel like for our future she would be the best suitor.”

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:42 pm

Clinton has won Rhode Island, and its four electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:50 pm

Hillary Clinton has 48 electoral votes, and Donald Trump still has 60 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:51 pm

Students in IC Square tensely await state results. Fernando Ferraz/The Ithacan

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20168:54 pm

Trump has won Mississippi, with its six electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:00 pm

Clinton has won Illinois, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:01 pm

“I’m upset with Virginia right now, and pleasantly surprised with Ohio,” sophomore Emma Perrow said. “I feel like Virginia is typically blue, even with being a swing state. I feel like Trump will win Virginia. I’m scared but I’m really hoping Hillary is going to win but I also don’t want to jinx it … I will probably be up all night watching it.”

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:02 pm

Clinton has 48 electoral votes, and Donald Trump still has 60 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:02 pm

Trump has won Nebraska, with its four electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:03 pm

Trump has a total of 51 electoral votes, and Clinton has a total of 44 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:03 pm

Trump has a total of 60 electoral votes, with Clinton still at 44 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:03 pm

Trump has won Tennessee and its 11 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:03 pm

Clinton has won New York, with its 29 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:04 pm

Trump has won South Carolina with its nine electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:04 pm

“I’m upset with Virginia right now, and pleasantly surprised with Ohio,” sophomore Emma Perrow said. “I feel like Virginia is typically blue, even with being a swing state. I feel like Trump will win Virginia. I’m scared, but I’m really hoping Hillary is going to win, but I also don’t want to jinx it. … I will probably be up all night watching it.”

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:05 pm

Trump has won Texas, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Kansas and Nebraska, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:05 pm

Trump has 123 electoral votes, and Clinton has 97 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 20169:05 pm

Jerry Moran (R) of Kansas, John Hoeven (R) of North Dakota, John Thune (R) of South Dakota and Charles Schumer (D) have been re-elected to the Senate, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 20169:06 pm

Tammy Duckworth (D) of Illinois has been elected to the Senate, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 20169:10 pm

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:10 pm

Trump has won Arkansas and its six electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 20169:11 pm

John Boozman (R) of Arkansas has been re-elected to the Senate, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:13 pm

“I thought Hillary would win, but I’m getting a bit nervous,” sophomore Jayne Lindamood, who voted for Clinton, said. “I really didn’t think that there were this many Trump supporters and it kind of scares me. His ideologies and beliefs are so different than mine so I’m very concerned about what he has the potential to do if he is elected.”

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:16 pm

“I thought Hillary would win, but I’m getting a bit nervous,” sophomore Jayne Lindamood, who voted for Clinton, said. “I really didn’t think that there were this many Trump supporters, and it kind of scares me. His ideologies and beliefs are so different than mine, so I’m very concerned about what he has the potential to do if he is elected.”

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:17 pm

Trump has a total of 129 electoral votes, and Clinton has a total of 97 total electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 20169:18 pm

Eric Holcomb (R) has been elected governor of Indiana, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:18 pm

Students in Friends 306 celebrate election night with snacks and games. Fernando Ferraz/The Ithacan

Grace Elletson November 8, 20169:19 pm

Jim Justice (D) has been elected governor of West Virginia, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 20169:21 pm

Johnny Isakson (R) of Georgia has been re-elected to Senate, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:28 pm

Clinton wins Connecticut, with its seven electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:30 pm

Trump has won Louisiana, with its eight electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:30 pm

Clinton has won Connecticut, with its seven electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:36 pm

Trump has 137 electoral votes, and Clinton has 104 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 20169:40 pm

Twelve-term Florida Rep. John Mica (R) has lost, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 20169:44 pm

Sen. Adriano Espaillat (D) will succeed Charles Ran (D) in New York, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:44 pm

In a Friends 306 election party, students have started playing election trivia and games.

“Just to distract ourselves from the stress of the election,” freshman Kevin Delisa said.

Fernando Ferraz/The Ithacan

Grace Elletson November 8, 20169:46 pm

Mike Lee (R) of Utah has been re-elected to the Senate, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:50 pm
“I’m loving what I’m seeing,” sophomore Matthew Schunck said. “I’m a huge Trump supporter and seeing him have a higher percentage in some of the states I thought he wouldn’t makes me very happy. I think he has a better chance of winning now then I did at the beginning of the day. I like how aggressive he is with the military and I really like his support for veterans as well as tax plans. Overall I like where he stands.”
Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:52 pm
“I’m loving what I’m seeing,” sophomore Matthew Schunck said. “I’m a huge Trump supporter and seeing him have a higher percentage in some of the states I thought he wouldn’t makes me very happy. I think he has a better chance of winning now than I did at the beginning of the day. I like how aggressive he is with the military, and I really like his support for veterans as well as tax plans. Overall, I like where he stands.”
Aidan Quigley November 8, 20169:54 pm

“I think the scariest thing about this election has been the fact that Donald Trump has been able to gain so much popularity,” senior Jennifer Schulte said. “I think it’s terrifying that such a hateful, clearly illogical person could run and that some people could ever see him as a better choice than Hillary Clinton, as flawed as she is.”

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:00 pm

Students cheer as Clinton takes back the lead for votes in Virginia. Fernando Ferraz/The Ithacan

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:01 pm

Trump has won Montana with its three electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201610:02 pm

Chuck Grassley (R) of Iowa has been re-elected to the Senate, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:07 pm

Trump has 132 electoral votes, and Clinton has 104 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201610:08 pm

Gary Herbert (R) has been re-elected as governor of Utah, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201610:12 pm

Richard Burr (R) of North Carolina has been re-elected to the Senate, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:22 pm
“I think we are all trying to find humor in this and to kind of laugh it out. It’s ridiculous,” said senior A.C. Tierney. “But I am genuinely scared about the direction of this country and just what is going to happen in the world if Trump wins the presidential election.”
Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:23 pm

Clinton has won New Mexico with its five electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:26 pm

Trump has won Missouri with its 10 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:29 pm

Clinton has 109 electoral votes, and Trump has 150 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:38 pm

Trump has won Ohio, with its 18 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:40 pm

From left, sophomores Ziya Morris, Anna Lamb and Nick Cecchini watch the election results in the Circle Apartments. Sam Fuller/ The Ithacan

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:42 pm

Clinton has won Virginia, with its 13 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:44 pm

Clinton has won Colorado, with its nine electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:46 pm
“I think we are all trying to find humor in this and to kind of laugh it out — it’s ridiculous,” senior A.C. Tierney said. “But I am genuinely scared about the direction of this country and just what is going to happen in the world if Trump wins the presidential election.”
Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:46 pm

“I think if Trump can win Florida and Ohio, he has a good chance of winning the election,” sophomore Nick Poggi said. “I thought Hillary had a better chance, but it’s now close and seems like it could be a huge part of determining who wins the election. I really want Trump to win because I want America to change. In the past five years, the economic and social aspects of our aspects have changed for the worse, and Trump promised a better change, and I think he can deliver through foreign relations with countries like Russia. I also believe he will be a great leader in helping to defeat ISIS.”

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:48 pm

John McCain (R) is reelected to the Senate for Arizona, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:49 pm

Clinton has 113 total electoral votes, and Trump has 168 total electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201610:50 pm

Michael Bennet (D) of Colorado has been re-elected to the Senate, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:51 pm

Trump has won Florida, with its 29 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:54 pm

Trump has a total of 197 electoral votes, and Clinton has a total of 131 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201610:55 pm

“I think if Trump can win Florida and Ohio, he has a good chance of winning the election,” sophomore Nick Poggi said. “I thought Hillary had a better chance, but it’s now close and seems like it could be a huge part of determining who wins the election. I really want Trump to win because I want America to change. In the past five years, the economic and social aspects … have changed for the worse, and Trump promised a better change, and I think he can deliver through foreign relations with countries like Russia. I also believe he will be a great leader in helping to defeat ISIS.”

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:00 pm

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:02 pm

Trump has won Idaho, with its four electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:02 pm

Clinton has won California, with its 55 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:02 pm

Clinton has won Hawaii, with its four electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201611:03 pm

John McCain (R) is re-elected to the Senate for Arizona, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:03 pm

Mike Crapo (R) of Idaho has been re-elected to the Senate, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201611:04 pm

Trump has 201 total electoral votes, and Clinton has 190 total electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:04 pm

Brian Schatz (D) of Hawaii has been re-elected to the Senate, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:04 pm

Ron Wyden (D) of Oregon has been re-elected to the Senate, the Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:05 pm

Ron Wyden (D) of Oregon has been re-elected to the Senate, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:05 pm

Patty Murray (D) of Washington has been re-elected to the Senate, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201611:07 pm

Clinton has won Oregon, with its seven electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201611:10 pm

California votes to legalize recreational marijuana, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201611:11 pm

Trump has a total of 201 total electoral votes, and Clinton has a total of 197 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201611:12 pm

“I think that for both women’s rights and a lot of international affairs, he’s going to be nothing good for this country,” senior Erin McGlew said. “I think that the possibility of getting rid of Roe v. Wade, and his access to nuclear weapons … all of that and just ruining a lot of international relationships, things that I don’t think a lot of Americans are putting into perspective right now.”

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201611:12 pm

Trump has won North Carolina, with its 15 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:13 pm

Kamala Harris (D) of California has been elected to the Senate, The Associated Press is reporting. Harris is the first Indian-American senator.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:15 pm

Kamala Harris (D) of California has been elected to the Senate, making her the first Indian-American senator, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:22 pm

Thomas Reed (R) has been re-elected as the Congressional Representative for the 23rd District in New York, which includes Tompkins County and Ithaca, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:23 pm

Liz Cheney (R) of Wyoming has been elected to the House, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:25 pm

Ron Johnson (R) of Wisconsin has been re-elected to the Senate, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201611:28 pm

Students react to Hillary Clinton winning Colorado. Jade Cardichon/The Ithacan

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:30 pm

Clinton has won Washington state, with its 12 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:36 pm

Trump has a total of 216 electoral votes, and Clinton has a total of 209 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:37 pm

Trump has won Georgia, with its 16 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201611:37 pm

“I am becoming very nervous,” senior Sharon Mejia said. “It’s a very close race — tight numbers — and so far, Donald Trump has been winning a lot of the majority of the electoral votes, a lot of double digits there, and Clinton has been getting just single digits. … I am trying to hold onto faith, because I am really hoping that Clinton wins. … I’m thinking we might not find out for another hour which might be 12 or 12:30 or so. But I am really hoping that votes really do count because we want history to be made. It’s nerve-racking and stressful.”

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:38 pm

John Faso (R) of New York has been elected to the House, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:38 pm

Trump has a total of 232 electoral votes, and Clinton has a total of 209 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:39 pm

Phil Scott (R) has been elected governor of Vermont, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201611:41 pm

“I am becoming very nervous,” senior Sharon Mejia said. “It’s a very close race — tight numbers — and so far, Donald Trump has been winning a lot of the majority of the electoral votes, a lot of double digits there, and Clinton has been getting just single digits. … I am trying to hold onto faith because I am really hoping that Clinton wins. … I’m thinking we might not find out for another hour, which might be 12 or 12:30 or so. But I am really hoping that votes really do count because we want history to be made. It’s nerve-racking and stressful.”

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:46 pm

Kate Brown (D) of Oregon has been re-elected as governor, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201611:50 pm

Students react to election results at a watch party in Friends Hall. Jade Cardichon/The Ithacan

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:53 pm

Colorado has passed legislation to OK aid-in-dying, commonly referred to as medically-assisted suicide, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201611:54 pm

Trump has won Utah, with its 6 electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 8, 201611:54 pm

John Kennedy (R) of Louisiana has advanced in the Senate race, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 8, 201611:58 pm

Trump has 238 total electoral votes, and Clinton has 209 total electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 9, 201612:01 am

Foster Campbell (D) of Louisiana has advanced in the Senate race, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 9, 201612:04 am

Trump has won Iowa, with its six electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 9, 201612:06 am

Jay Inslee (D) has been re-elected as governor of Washington state, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 9, 201612:11 am

Catherine Cortez Masto (D) of Nevada has been elected to the Senate, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 9, 201612:17 am

Eric Greitens (R) has been elected governor of Missouri, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 9, 201612:23 am

Clinton has won Nevada, with its six electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Aidan Quigley November 9, 201612:24 am

Trump has 244 total electoral votes, and Clinton has 215 total electoral votes, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 9, 201612:25 am

Republicans clinch House majority and extend a 6-year lock on the chamber, while Democrats make modest gains, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 9, 201612:26 am

Republicans gain two more years of House control, while Democrats make modest gains, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 9, 201612:29 am

Voters have reinstated the death penalty in Nevada, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 9, 201612:45 am

Jimmy Panetta (D) has been elected to the California House of Representatives, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 9, 201612:48 am

Massachusetts has approved legislation for recreational marijuana use, The Associated Press is reporting.

Grace Elletson November 9, 201612:50 am

Aidan Quigley November 9, 201612:54 am

The Ithacan is signing off. We will update in the morning. Thank you for following our coverage.

Aidan Quigley November 9, 201610:18 am

Donald Trump has been elected president of the United States.

Ryan King can be reached at rking5@ithaca.edu