$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Ithaca College student dies after brief illness

Junior Shannon Sakosits, an integrated marketing communications major at Ithaca College, has died from an illness, according to an announcement by the college Nov. 11.

The specific cause and type of Sakosits’ illness is not known at this time.

According to the announcement, the Hammond Health Center and Cayuga Medical Center are working with the Tompkins County and New York State Departments of Health to determine the cause of death. Preliminary testing at this point has not indicated a bacterial infection was the cause of Sakosits’ illness.

The message urges students who may have shared drinking containers, utensils or similar oral contact with Sakosits between Oct. 28 to Nov. 9 to contact the Hammond Health Center to determine if they should receive treatment.

The message said “casual contact, as might occur in a classroom or lecture hall setting, does not constitute direct, close contact, and antibiotics would not be needed.”

A vigil will be held 7 p.m. Nov. 12 in Muller Chapel for friends and classmates to gather for support and remembrance of Sakosits, who is from Mahwah, New Jersey. Assistance from counselors and chaplains will be available as is the Center for Counseling and Psychological Services.

The announcement said “heartfelt prayers and deepest sympathies to Shannon’s family, friends, classmates and professors at this difficult time.”

$1375
$2000