$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Ithaca College to screen Colombian documentary

Faculty members of the politics department and the Latin American studies minor will screen “Impunity: What Kind of War for Colombia,” a documentary by filmmaker Juan Jose Lozano and Colombian journalist Hollman Morris at 7p.m. Tuesday in Textor 101.The documentary focuses on transitional justice in Colombia, a country that has been associated with civil war, internal conflict and terrorist threats. In the movie, Lozano examines the most prominent trials against the paramilitary and its economic ties to the political elites. The movie also explores the human aspects of the conflict as victims’ families struggle with their concerns about the justifications of their deaths.John Laun, a member of the Colombia Support Network, will introduce and provide context for the film. After the screening, Laun will be available for a question-and-answer session about the issues Colombia is currently facing.

The Colombia Support Network is a national grassroots organization based in Madison, Wis., that focuses on providing assistance to indigenous communities in Colombia by creating sister communities between cities and communities in the U.S. and Colombia.

Laun said he believes students will be interested in the presentation because it will give them the opportunity to understand the Colombians’ suffering.

“Students will be impressed to see how the Colombians in the rural area suffered greatly and how the government hasn’t been doing enough for the people,” Laun said.

$1495
$2000