$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

ITHACA TODAY: Thursday, Sept. 26

Top news of the day

The stories you should check out

1. Robert McChesney, author and media policy expert, will come to Ithaca College to present his speech, “Corporate Dominance of Internet, Media and Politics,” at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 3 in Park Auditorium. Contributing writer Brandon Adelbock spoke with McChesney about his work with the non-profit organization Free Press and his recent books about the Internet and how U.S. elections are influenced by contributions from wealthy corporations.

2. Faculty applications are now available for the Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 semester London sabbatical program. The selected faculty members are expected to teach one course at the London Center. In exchange, they will receive a round-trip airline ticket to London, access to London Center facilities and the use of the college’s 2.5 bedroom house for one semester.

3. Lesley Byrne, an international permaculture teacher, will present about her work on Rusinga Island, located on Lake Victoria in Kenya. Byrne will discuss her experiences teaching local subsistence farmers about permaculture, a branch of ecological and environmental design that develops sustainable agriculture. The talk, “Regenerating Rusinga Island through Permaculture,” is at 7 p.m. in Textor 103.

What’s happening today

The events you won’t want to miss

1. Career Services is sponsoring guest speaker Sara Laschever who will discuss professional negotiating tips for women in the workplace. The event is at 12:10 p.m. in Emerson Suites.

2. The Ithaca College chapter of React to Film — an organization that aims to educate, inspire and be a call to action to their audiences — will hold a screening of “Blood Brother” at 7 p.m. in Park Auditorium.

3. A farewell reception for Scott Flickinger, program coordinator of intramurals for the Office of Recreational Sports will be held at 2 p.m. in the Taughannock Falls Room. Flickinger is leaving to become the assistant manager for sports clubs and intramurals at Boston University.

In Today’s Paper
Don’t have time to pick up today’s issue of The Ithacan? Read the highlights here.

News: The City of Ithaca approved a plan to make its streets more bike-friendly. Read about Streets Alive! Ithaca, a biannual bike festival that supports the city’s efforts to make Ithaca safer for bikers, and the details of the plan.

Sports: Wonder what a day in the life of a Bomber athlete during the offseason is like? Read about the offseason of athletes on the baseball team, gymnastics team, women’s lacrosse team, and the diving team.

Accent: The Ithaca Farmer’s Market is in full swing this season, and will be open until December. Another space for the Farmer’s Market will be set up in the winter from January to March at the Space @ GreenStar on 700 W. Buffalo St.

$1375
$2000