$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Ithaca’s weekly news in brief

Take a look at a few short news summaries from the Ithaca community.

Professor receives award from international group
The International Photography Awards announced that Janice Levy, professor of media arts, sciences and studies, received an honorable mention in the 2012 Fine Art – Other category for a photo.

Levy’s photo “Animal Display, Riyadh, KSA” was taken during her sabbatical leave. While in Saudi Arabia for her sabbatical, she taught photography to women at the Princess Noura bint Abdulrahman University.

Levy’s photo is part of a photographic exhibition called “Saudi Arabia from Within” that is scheduled  to be on display Sept. 15 at the Hotel Malteste in Dijion, France.

Director elected to serve on regional committee
Martha Gray, director of institutional research, will soon return to the North East Association for Institutional Research Nominations committee. Gray originally worked with NEAIR in 2006 as president of the organization.

In 2011, she received the Distinguished Service Award.

NEAIR is an organization that promotes effectiveness of individual institutions through research.

Arabic introduction added to anthropology textbook
Michael Malpass, Dana professor of anthropology, has published a second edition of “A Daily Life in the Inca Empire” in Arabic for distribution in the Middle East.

The book was translated through a program known as the Kalima Initiative, which is located in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The Kalima Initiative translated the first edition into Arabic after being granted the copyright in 2010.

Greenwood Press published the book in 1996, and the original edition was published in 2009.
Malpass added an introduction for the Arabic audience in “A Daily Life in the Inca Empire” to culturally contextualize Incan history.

CEO to exchange ideas at corporate conference
Eric Schmidt, Google CEO from 2001 to 2011, will give a lecture at Cornell University.
Schmidt’s presentation is part of the Robert S. Hatfield Fellowship, which serves as an annual platform for the exchange of ideas among the academic and corporate communities. Every year Cornell invites corporate leaders to the campus to meet with  other Robert S. Hatfield fellows.

Schmidt’s lecture will begin at 5 p.m. Sept. 20 in the Alice Statler Auditorium at Cornell. The presentation is free and open to the public.

Tompkins County reduces schools’ carbon footprint
Tompkins County students and faculty have cut down the carbon footprint by reusing their school supplies.

The Tompkins County Solid Waste Management Division partnered with Finger Lakes ReUse for project to reduce the carbon emissions  through a recycling education program.

The goal was to reduce the amount of trash Tompkins County schools send to landfills. The grant was funded through the national Environmental Protection Agency.

The project, which  saved about 17 tons of CO2 equivalent emissions by reusing school and facility supplies and other electronic devices since the program began in 2011.

Finger Lakes ReUse trained the students in repairing and refurbishing computers. Schools were given tips on how to purchase supplies less harmful to the environment.

Dean to deliver address to Park School students
Dean Diane Gayeski will give the ‘state of the school’ presentation for all students and faculty in the Park School.

Students are invited to attend the presentation to understand what changes will be occurring in the Park School this semester.

The Park state of the school address will begin at 12:10 p.m. Sept. 20 in Park Auditorium.

Doctorates strengthen Ithaca College rankings
According to Washington Monthly’s 2012 College Guide and Rankings, Ithaca College placed 50 out of 682 colleges because of its commitment to giving back to the community by encouraging students to get involved locally.

The college was ranked 14 spots higher than last year because many students go on to receive their Ph.D. after earning their bachelor’s degree.

$1375
$2000