$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

More candidates for Common Council elections come forward

Brendan Iannucci
Current alderpeople, including Cynthia Brock, Jorge DeFendini, Tiffany Kumar and Phoebe Brown are running for reelection. Kayla Matos, deputy director at the Southside Community Center, is a new candidate running to represent the 1st Ward.

More candidates for the City of Ithaca’s Common Council have announced their campaigns for the November 2023 general election, which will reelect all 10 council seats because of redistricting.

The current 1st Ward Alderpeson Cynthia Brock announced that she will be seeking reelection for her fifth term on the Common Council.

According to The Ithaca Voice, 4th Ward Alderperson Jorge DeFendini, 4th Ward Alderperson Tiffany Kumar and 2nd Ward Alderperson Phoebe Brown are also running for reelection.

The 3rd Ward Alderperson Jeffrey Barken — who was elected in November 2021 — announced in a personal statement Feb. 12 that he will be resigning from his position in June. 

There has been no word from 1st Ward Alderperson George McGonigal as to whether or not he will be seeking reelection or stepping down.

Kayla Matos, deputy director at the Southside Community Center, is a new candidate running to represent the 1st Ward.

Rob Gearhart, Ducson Nguyen and Robert Cantelmo were the first to begin their campaigns.

Kathleen Bergin is campaigning for the position of Ithaca Town Justice and endorsed six of the candidates currently running for the Common Council. 

$1495
$2000