$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Police identify suspect in officer shooting

Jamel Booker, 22, is facing two charges for allegedly shooting Ithaca police Officer Anthony Augustine, a veteran of five years at the IPD, during a foot chase Friday night near the West Village apartment complex on West Hill.

Booker has been charged with aggravated assault of a police officer and criminal use of a firearm in the first degree, both class B felonies. He was arraigned by Honorable Judge Judith Rossiter on Friday in Tompkins County Superior Court. His bail was set at $500,000 cash or $1,000,000 bond, a press release said.

IPD was responding to a stolen motor vehicle report on the 100 block of South Plain Street. The complainant told police that her 2002 Toyota Camry was stolen while she was picking up her children from a relative’s house, according to the press release.

Police located the vehicle and attempted to stop it on Elm Street. The driver refused to stop and began speeding westbound on Elm Street.

The driver fled the vehicle after making a sudden turn onto Elmcrest Circle, according to the police report. Officers pursued the suspect into a wooded area. Augustine and the suspect exited the woods simultaneously, and the suspect turned and fired one shot to Augustine’s left chest area and then ran into the West Village Apartments, the release said.

Booker was apprehended around 4:50 a.m. by the Ithaca SWAT Team, according to the press release.

Augustine was transported to a trauma center at 5:15 a.m. Friday for his injuries. He was described as “conscious and alert” at the time. He had a second surgery Friday and was reported to be in stable condition.

After receiving treatment for his wounds, Augustine was able to identify the suspect, the press release said.

$1495
$2000