$1275
$2000

Student and nonstudent charged with drug possession

A student and a nonstudent were arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance early Sunday morning in Landon Hall after Public Safety officers found a small amount of what they said they believe to be cocaine in the room.

Freshman Sarah Bitely and nonstudent Jake Milo were arrested when officers arrived after receiving a suspicious odor complaint. They were charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, a misdemeanor. Laura Durling, assistant director of patrol and security services, said the controlled substance was believed to be cocaine. Freshman Victoria Kayden was also arrested and charged with unlawful possession of marijuana. Durling said Milo was a guest of one of the women.

Durling said the investigation is still continuing, and more charges are possible.

According to New York state law, a person is guilty of criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree when he or she knowingly and unlawfully possesses a controlled substance. It is punishable by a fine of no more than $1,000, or no more than one year in prison. Unlawful possession of marijuana is a violation and is punishable by only a $100 fine.

Durling said Milo had an immediate arraignment after he was arrested and was remanded to Tompkins County Jail in lieu of an unknown bail amount. Kayden and Bitely were issued appearance tickets to the Ithaca Town Court for arraignment at the end of January, Durling said.

Durling said Kayden was judicially referred for unlawful possession of marijuana, and Bitely was judicially referred for criminal possession of a controlled substance. She said one of the women will also be judicially referred for the responsibility of a guest.

$1275
$2000