$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Student judicially referred for anti-Semitic graffiti

Ithaca College’s Office of Public Safety has judicially referred one student for aggravated harassment in the recent incident of anti-Semitic graffiti in a residence hall, according to college officials. The student will be charged after a judicial hearing, which is expected to take place within six business days.

The college also announced that after investigations, it has classified the incident as a hate crime, in accordance with FBI Uniform Crime Reporting.

On April 21, residents of East Tower room 711 freshmen Ross Sugarman and Josh Bond — members of an international Jewish fraternity — found “Heil Hitler,” “666” and a swastika painted in red on their door.

Investigations into the incident concluded Friday afternoon.

Molly Israel, director of communication at the department of marketing communications, said the single student involved in the incident was motivated by personal dislike toward the recipient of the graffiti.

Israel said no other members of the community are reported to have been involved.  

In an Intercom alert, President Tom Rochon thanked Public Safety for their work. He also said the community’s outrage at the incident helped reaffirm the college’s values.

“No one should have to endure slurs or other actions that demean an individual or group,” he said in the alert. “Our diversity as a community enhances the quality of the educational experience on this campus.  Any attack on that diversity is an attack on our educational mission.”

Rochon also encouraged the college community to report any racial, religious or other group bigotry or hatred by contacting Public Safety.

“Equally important, I ask that each one of us take responsibility to do everything possible to advance the level of mutual understanding and respect that characterizes the IC community,” he said. “ Let us celebrate each other, not demean each other!”

This article was updated at 9:30 p.m. with additional information about the judicial referral.

Read our coverage of the incident here.

$1375
$2000