$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Suicide awareness week to host workshops on prevention

This week, Ithaca College’s Center for Counseling and Psychological Services is holding “Suicide Prevention Week,” a series of events to bring light to suicide and mental health through films, speakers, workshops and support groups.

Yesterday, LeBron Rankins, campus psychologist and advisor of Active Minds, presented the film “The Truth About Suicide” to educate students of suicide warning signs through real college stories.

At 7 p.m. today in Textor 101, Mardis Kelson will talk about the aftermath of her son’s suicide. At 6 p.m. Wednesday in Textor 101 a workshop called “Pathways” will be held to educate people on how to recognize and respond to distress. The last workshop will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday in Campus Center and will host a support group for those personally affected by suicide.

For the rest of the week, a banner will stand in the center of the academic quad promoting the “Stomp Out The Stigma” campaign, which emphasizes the importance of speaking up without shame. The campaign will promote CAPS services and will talk about how to access help.

Rankins said psychiatric disorders are often misunderstood because people don’t know a lot about them.

“Mental health is one of those things that is unlike a physical injury or disease where you can go in and cut it out or give a pill to try to fix things,” he said. “Mental health is more complicated than that.”

Check back for more updates.

$1375
$2000