$1275
$2000

TWSM: 2013 commencement speaker

This is the first of a weekly series, called “This Week in Social Media,” using Storify to wrap up the week’s biggest news through community reactions on social media.

The story that students, faculty and alumni couldn’t stop tweeting about this week was the announcement of this year’s commencement speaker.

Ithaca College confirmed Thursday that David Boreanaz ’91, the actor known for “Bones” and his role as Angel in “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” will be this year’s commencement speaker.

Diane Gayeski, dean of the Park School of Communications, said the students voted for Boreanaz, and because she had been in contact with him before, she reached out to see if he would be available.

“It all happened very quickly, I called him yesterday in the morning and told him that he was selected and he said he just needed a little while to check on his schedule,” Gayeski said. “I expected that it would be a week or two until he could confirm and within 15 minutes he called back and said that it was confirmed.”

Dave Maley, associate director of media relations, said Boreanaz confirmed Thursday that he will give the speech to the Class of 2013.

“We’re very excited that he accepted, and we’re looking forward to hearing from him,” Maley said.

Boreanaz shared the news via Twitter, writing, “Honored to be giving the commencement speech to the class of 2013.”

The following is a selection of Ithaca College community members’, past and present, responses to the news.

$1275
$2000