$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Editorial: Don’t forget to wear a mask when you cheer at Cortaca

Frankie Walls/The Ithacan

We are living in the midst of a global pandemic — it has not stopped and is not over. We should rightfully continue to move forward with our lives and establish a new normal, but as a community cannot neglect simple actions that can prevent and minimize the spread of the virus. With the Cortaca Jug game rapidly approaching, Ithaca College students and community members need to remain conscious of their behavior at such a large, public event. The majority of students, exempting those with a medical or religious excuse, are vaccinated, but that does not mean everyone else at the event will be as well. There will be families and alumni in attendance, and vaccine cards will not be checked at the entrance of the stadium. The organizers are providing masks at the event and requiring the use of them. Keeping your masks on is the bare minimum. Wearing a mask won’t be a detriment to the event — you can cheer for the Bombers as they (hopefully) beat Cortland, with a mask on. 

Have fun, yell and cheer, hug your peers and such — but do so responsibly. Aside from the usual behavior rules regarding COVID-19, there are certain behavioral expectations that Ithaca College students should abide by. It’s incredibly easy to get caught up in the energy of a game against long-term rivals, especially when the game hasn’t taken place in more than a year. Energy will be high and it can be easy to get caught up in it, but vulgarity and disrespect will not be tolerated. 

Don’t forget that this is just a game; there’s no need to stoop down to immature and embarrassing behaviors. Objects shouldn’t be thrown on the field, insults and derogatory comments about SUNY Cortland and its students should not be made, and you should remain by your own seats or in their vicinity during the game. Make sure you check the rules of the stadium, as there is a long list of items that you cannot bring with you, including banners and bags. Be careful with what you say, what you do and what you choose to post on social media. But remember, this is still an event to have fun, feel a part of your community and watch the “biggest little game in the nation.” Go Bombers!

$1495
$2000