$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Editorial: IC, crank it up

Ithaca College students have expressed an interest in bringing bigger-name artists to campus, but first they need the administration’s support

The Ithaca College Bureau of Concerts showed initiative by distributing a survey at the beginning of the semester to gauge the musical interests of students. This allowed the BOC to bring the top-choice band, Guster, to campus.

However, costs and venue spaces limit choices. Though Emerson Suites is a nice space for banquets and speakers, it is not ideal for concerts as it holds only 800 out of nearly 5,000 students.

Bringing in artists like those who have performed at Cornell University, such as Passion Pit or Ke$ha, are off-limits because they cost upwards of $150,000. Though the Athletics and Events Center could potentially house enough people to bring in more revenue to make up for the cost of the performance, the BOC would need to pay for the expenses before getting revenue from ticket sales.

On-campus entertainment and A&E Center functionality are primary concerns of the students, as indicated by last year’s campus-climate survey. Bringing in artists should also be a goal for an administration that looks out for the students’ best interests. By helping to front the money to bring an artist to campus, administration could generate revenue and create a public image that would aid recruitment and bring pride to current students.

$1375
$2000