$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Letter to the Editor: Student responds to college’s rejection of club sailing team

When I watch the Cornell sailing team practice, I find it hard to understand why Ithaca College does not have a sailing team. Not only are we minutes from a lake, but our location would allow us to be in the most competitive league in the country, the Mid-Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association. Last year a group of more than 30 students proposed the first Ithaca College club sailing team and was denied by the Office of Club Sports primarily because sailing is a high-risk sport that requires costly insurance. Though I understand the risks, I still believe the club sailing team proposal was too quickly denied. If Ithaca College cannot bear the costs of a sailing team, the athletics department could make a formal relationship with the Cornell sailing team. I know at least 30 students who are interested in joining a sailing club, which is the average size for a varsity sailing team. Why can’t Ithaca College help fund sailing as it supports other teams?

Sarah Parker, Junior Integrated Marketing communications major

$1495
$2000