•  

March 30, 2017   |   Ithaca, NY

Opinion

The best Choice

As the search committee moves toward selecting a new provost, The Ithacan urges the committee to choose finalist Abiodun Goke-Pariola.

On paper, Goke-Pariola is the strongest finalist. As the provost and vice president for academic affairs for the past four years at Otterbein University, a private institution in Ohio, he has the most experience as a college administrator.  Goke-Pariola has also had experience as dean of the humanities, arts and social sciences at Berry College in Georgia. Of the three finalists, Goke-Pariola has the most impressive résumé.

During interviews this week, he demonstrated his qualifications. Goke-Pariola came to his sessions with an understanding of the IC20/20 plan. It is significant for the next provost to have familiarity with this vision. Goke-Pariola also has a strong understanding of the importance of faculty and student engagement to the success of a college.

The college needs a provost that will engage with faculty and students. Goke-Pariola’s previous experience illustrates that he has this communicative ability. His background as a college leader and his past success with strategic visions and community learning show that he can help the college succeed with future goals.

The Ithacan can be reached at ithacan@ithaca.edu or via Twitter: @IthacanOnline