$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Vacant no more

The newest hot spot at Ithaca College was nothing but vacant space a couple of months ago. But the college has successfully turned the empty floor into a well-used student space now known as tc lounge.

In May 2009, the Tower Club restaurant closed because of financial difficulties and a drop in customers. Students, who would have had to pay or use their bonus bucks, rarely ventured up to the 14th floor of East Tower. Last year, the space was empty — used only for an occasional banquet when needed. But this year the space has been turned into a café and lounge where students can study, meet friends or enjoy a coffee and dessert. The lounge is open from 8 p.m. to midnight — an ideal time and alternative for when La Vincita closes and Late Night at the Towers Dining Hall is too crowded.

When the Tower Club closed, the college said it wanted to place the restaurant’s budget in student programs. The college successfully met that goal with tc lounge. Students at the college always need a space to study and meet up with friends. The tc lounge, with baristas and busboys, gives the students that, along with the sophisticated atmosphere of an off-campus coffee shop still on campus.

Workers in tc lounge have said they have seen a steady amount of students — a sign that this is what students wanted. The college is encouraged to continue looking into ways to better the student environment.

$1375
$2000