$1260
$2000

Bombers drop two straight

After winning two in a row to up its record to 2–7, the baseball team finished its Mid-Atlantic Region trip with two straight losses.

The Bombers fell to the University of Mary Washington 8–4 Saturday and No. 6 Salisbury University 7–6 Sunday to fall to 2–9 on the year.

In the Mary Washington contest, the South Hill squad sported a 4–0 lead after the top of the second. Junior designated hitter Matt Streich led the inning off with a single then stole second. Freshman second baseman Matt Keller was able to reach first and move Streich to third on a fielder’s choice.

Streich eventually scored on a passed ball and Keller crossed home when sophomore third baseman Mike Preite smacked a double.

Senor catcher Mike Armstrong drew a walk, then senior center fielder Jon Krakower got down a sacrifice bunt, moving Preite to third. Both Preite and Armstrong scored when junior left fielder Rob Zappia grounded out to the pitcher and junior first baseman Trevor Wolf reached on a Mary Washington error.

Even though the Blue and Gold had a 4–0 lead early, it was cut to 4–3 in the bottom of the second. Mary Washington scored three more runs in the sixth and two in the eighth.

On the hill for Ithaca was junior Dan Lynch, who allowed two earned runs in five innings, striking out four. In relief was freshman pitcher Jasper Adams, who only allowed two earned runs as well. The Blue and Gold had three errors on the day.

In Sunday’s game, the Bombers were down 7–5 to Salisbury with the bases loaded in the top of the ninth with one out.

Senior right fielder T.J. Abone reached first on a fielder’s choice, scoring a run, but getting the second out. With the score 7–6, Keller hit a ground ball to the opposing shortstop, who put the force out on Abone at second.

This game, like the previous one, saw the Bombers give up another early lead. Ithaca led 5–2 after three innings, but in the fourth relented four runs to go down 6–5. Junior pitcher Aaron Sapp didn’t make it out of the fourth, going 3.2 innings, allowing six earned runs on nine hits, surrendering four walks.

Sophomore pitcher Tucker Healey was solid in relief, though, allowing only one earned run over 4.1 innings, fanning seven.

The Bombers face off against the SUNY-Cortland at 3 p.m. tomorrow to take on the Red Dragons.

$1260
$2000