$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Field hockey: Blue and Gold extend winning streak

The field hockey team continued its winning streak at home with a 3–1 victory over SUNY–Oswego Saturday afternoon. Three different Bombers scored goals for the squad.

The Bombers came out aggressively and were focused on moving the ball up the field. The Blue and Gold, who have been working on circle play and shooting, continued to push the ball up field even when they were up.

“We’re feeling confident at home. That’s for sure,” freshman forward Heather Komizor said.

The only goal of the first half came when sophomore forward Julia Conroy carried the ball up field and found sophomore forward Tracy Rivas for a shot from the left post.

“[Coach] wants us to be pushing up,” Conroy said. “The top three forwards need to be all the way up the field to be able to receive the ball and take quick shots.”

Though the team won, it is always looking for ways to improve its play. At halftime the team discussed taking quicker hits, improving communication and getting back on defense.

“The other forwards need to be back a little to support…right inside the circle,” freshman forward Katie Kennedy said.

In the second half Kennedy scored the Bombers’ second goal off a rebound by the left post.

The lone goal for SUNY–Oswego was scored by junior forward Katie Mazuchowski. Mazuchowski scored on her own rebound following a scramble inside the circle.

Kennedy passed the ball to freshman forward Heather Komizor who scored the Bombers’ third goal.

“In the middle, a lot of times everyone comes to the ball,” Conroy said. “It gets kind of clustered. We really just need to keep our space and get that ball up the field.”

Looking ahead to next week, the team has plans to improve play especially on several different elements on defense.

“Keeping sticks down, forwards getting back, communication and our doubles need to be double teaming,” Kennedy said.

The South Hill squad had the advantage in penalty corners 8­–7. Though the Bombers won, SUNY–Oswego outshot the Blue and Gold 27–24.

Sophomore goalie Kelly Singleton had 17 saves and allowed one goal. SUNY–Oswego senior goalie Jamie Scharfe recorded 12 saves and allowed three goals.

The Bombers will play on the road for their next game, competing against William Smith College at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

$1375
$2000