$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Field hockey: Blue and Gold win 4-1 in season opener

The field hockey team played their first home game of the season Saturday against SUNY-Morrisville. The Bombers defeated Morrisville 4–1.
The only goal in the first half came when freshman forward Heather Kozimor crossed a shot from the left and junior forward Jessica Dillion tipped the ball in just inside the right post.
In the second half the Bombers scored three more goals, including one off a corner play and one stroke. The Bombers’ first goal of the second half came when senior forward Katherine Brown passed the ball to freshman forward Sam English who deflected the ball in from the front of the cage.
“We’ve been playing a big ball game and we’re working on playing a small ball game. Brown said. “That is something that we did today that I thought really pushed us to four goals.”
The Bombers were up but still continued to push the tempo.
“You can’t think like you’re ahead,” English said. You have to think like you’re tied or down one to keep that intensity going.”
Brown and English said fast quick shots were key to their success. The strength of the Bombers’ defense makes their new formation, with five forwards possible. Head Coach Houk said the trust in the defense was why the new formation was possible.
The Bombers next goal came on a corner when senior defensive back Key Fox sent the ball to the top of the circle and Brown shot the ball into the cage near the left post.
Senior defensive back Mia Muzio scored the fourth goal for the Blue and Gold, scoring on a penalty stroke.
“[The Morrisville player] was on her knees and blocked the ball with her knees inside the cage.” Mia Muzio said, “The only person that can be inside the cage is the keeper and you cannot stop the ball with any other part of your body besides your stick. So she blocked it with her knees and they called a stroke.”
Morrisville’s only goal came 42 seconds left in the second half. Sophomore defensive back Jamie Anderson shot the ball in off the near the left post. Freshman midfielder Brandi Ralfalko had the assist for Morrisville.
Sophomore goalie Kelly Singleton played 50:06 minutes and had one save, shutting out Morrisville. Sophomore Goalie Samantha Grassi played 19:54 minutes, had three saves and allowed Morrisville’s only goal.
Morrisville freshman goalie Mary View played the first half. She had four saves and allowed one goal. Sophomore goalie Kelsey Pellegroio played the second half, making three saves and allowing three goals.
The Bombers outshot Morrisville 19-6. Ithaca and Morrisville both had seven penalty corners.
The Blue and Gold return to action against SUNY-Brockport at 4 p.m. Thursday at Yavits Field.

$1495
$2000