$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Field Hockey: Blue and Gold’s playoff hopes take a hit in loss to Utica College

The field hockey team (4–10) could not continue the momentum of its recent two-game win streak, as it fell short in a crucial road game against first-place Utica College (10–6) by a score of 5-1 tonight.

The loss dropped the Bombers’ record in Empire 8 Conference play to 2–4 and put a damper on the team’s hopes for a spot in the conference tournament. The Blue and Gold now sit in seventh place behind Hartwick College, Nazareth College and Elmira College for the fourth and final qualifying spot with just two games remaining in the regular season.

Utica College scored twice in the first half on goals from freshman midfielders Alaina Stojkovski and Hannah Mackey, and then added three more goals early in the second half to push its lead to 5-0. The Bombers avoided being shut out when senior forward Jessica Dillon snatched up a loose ball and put it in the net in the final minute of the game.

The offensive progress made by the South Hill squad in its last two wins was absent tonight, as the team was outshot by the Pioneers 20-6.

The Bombers will need to turn it around quickly to keep any postseason dreams alive when it hosts SUNY-Geneseo in a 4 p.m. matchup Wednesday at Higgins Stadium.

$1495
$2000