$1275
$2000

Field hockey: South Hill squad posts shutout for win

The field hockey scored one goal in each half and defeated Elmira College 2–0 in Pine Valley, N.Y. yesterday. With the win the Blue and Gold evened their Empire 8 record to 2–2. The Bombers are now 5–6 overall on the season.

In the first two minutes of play, sophomore forward Tracy Rivas scored by the right side of the goal while senior forward Katie Brown had the assist. With the goal, Rivas became the leading goal scorer for the Bombers this season with five.

The only other goal of the game was scored in the second half.  Senior midfielder Laura Murphy assisted freshman midfielder Emily Lash who scored off a rebound.

The South Hill squad outshot Elmira 20–14 and also had the advantage in penalty corners 14–10.

Sophomore goalie Kelly Singleton played the first half and made nine saves. Sophomore goalie Samantha Grassi played the second half and made two saves.

Elmira’s freshman goalie Riannon Crocker made 14 saves and allowed two goals.

The Bombers return to action in a non-league game tomorrow at 3 p.m. home against the College of Wooster. This will be the first game played on the new turf field behind the Athletic and Events Center.

$1275
$2000