$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Field Hockey: Squad’s comeback against SUNY-Geneseo falls short

The field hockey team (4–11) staged a frantic comeback by scoring two goals in the last seven minutes of yesterday’s game, but fell just short in a 3-2 loss to SUNY-Geneseo at Higgins Stadium.

The Knights connected on an early goal from senior midfielder Abby Sayler in the fourth minute of play to give SUNY-Geneseo a 1-0 lead.

Bombers junior goalkeeper Kelly Singleton made a series of clutch saves in the final five minutes of the first half to keep Ithaca in the game, but SUNY-Geneseo opened the second half with two goals in a span of 48 seconds to give them a comfortable 3-0 lead.

The Blue and Gold’s offense erupted in the final ten minutes as junior forward Julia Conroy chipped in a centering pass from sophomore midfielder Sam English to put the Bombers on the board and cut the deficit to 3-1 with 6:55 remaining.

The Bombers’ pressure in the scoring circle eventually led to a stroke opportunity three minutes later for senior forward Heather Kozimor. She took advantage by tucking the ball inside the right post and past the outstretched hand of SUNY-Geneseo junior goalie Caitlyn Dowell to close the gap to 3-2.

SUNY-Geneseo sophomore forward Katie Farley said the South Hill squad’s resiliency left a lasting impression on her team.

“They kept up their intensity up until the very last minute, and they picked up their play at end of the game when it counted,” she said.

Bombers freshman midfielder Rachel Weston said her team just needed to see a shot go in to get the confidence they needed for the late-game run.

“After the first goal was scored, that was the inspiration that told us we can get it done,” Weston said.

The Bombers regained possession off the next faceoff and pressed hard for the final four minutes. But despite earning a last-minute penalty corner, Ithaca could not find the equalizer.

Conroy believes the positive energy and inspired play from the end of tonight’s game could transfer over to the Blue and Gold’s season finale against Elmira College at 1 p.m. Saturday at Higgins Stadium.

“We’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain,” Conroy said. “So we’re just going to play our hardest and we’re definitely going to come out with a win on Saturday. We’re going to carry this energy from the end of the game over to practice on Thursday and Friday.”

$1495
$2000