$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Football: Blue and Gold win third consecutive game

The football team won its third consecutive game of the season, beating Widener University 31–7 Saturday. Senior quarterback Rob Zappa led the way for the Blue and Gold, throwing a career-high four touchdowns.

After both teams exchanged punts in the first quarter, the Bombers’ offense was the first to get on the board. Zappia capped off a six-play 46-yard drive by finding senior wide receiver Dan Ruffrage for a four-yard touchdown pass to put the Bombers up 7–0. The Blue and Gold added a field goal to go up 10–0 at halftime.

The Bombers’ offense stepped up big in the third quarter. Following an interception by senior cornerback Mike Conti, Zappia found Ruffrage for his second touchdown of the game, this time from three-yards out to put South Hill Squad up 17–0.

After a Widener fumble on their first offensive play following the Ruffrage touchdown, Zappia connected with Matt Crandell for a five-yard touchdown to push the Bombers’ lead to 24–0. Zappia added his career-high fourth touchdown pass, hitting freshman tight end Evan Bull from 17-yards out, on a fourth and one, capping off a 9-play 59-yard drive to put the Bombers ahead 31–0. Zappia would finish a career-high 23 of 34 completions for 252 yards, including 10 for 11 for 99 yards and three touchdowns in the third quarter.

The Blue and Gold’s defense came up big again. The Bombers held the Widener offense to 11 first downs, three of which came Widener’s only touchdown drive in the fourth quarter, and 145 total yards.

The Bombers return to action against Lycoming College at 1:30 p.m. Saturday in Williamsport, Pa.

$1495
$2000