$1275
$2000

Football: Bombers fall in Cortaca Jug

SUNY-Cortland sophomore running back Justin Autera rushed for 232 yards on 37 carries and two touchdowns as the Red Dragons beat the football team to claim the Cortaca Jug for the first time since 2007 in a 20–17 victory in Cortland, N.Y.

The Bombers came out firing, building a 17–3 lead. Senior quarterback Rob Zappia threw for 271 yards and a touchdown including a 33-yard pass to senior tight end Dan Higgins, in which Higgins carried three Cortland defenders into the end zone early in the third quarter.

After getting the ball back, the South Hill squad was forced to punt from deep in its own territory. On a low snap, junior punter Andrew Rogoski was forced to put a knee down in order to field the ball, setting up Cortland at the 2-yard line.

On the first play after the turnover, Autera leaped over the pile into the end zone to cut the Bombers’ lead to 17–10.

After a Cortland field goal to cut the Blue and Gold’s lead to 17–13 early in the fourth quarter, sophomore kick returner Andre Jamison fumbled the kickoff giving Cortland excellent field position at the 40-yard line.

Autera capped the scoring with his second touchdown of the game to give Cortland a 20–17 lead. The Red Dragons held the Bombers scoreless on their final two possessions to seal the victory.

Cortland out rushed the Bombers 219–19 total yards, a theme that was common for the South Hill squad this season. The loss sealed the Bombers’ fewest wins in a season, six, since they finished 5–4 in 1995.

$1275
$2000