$1275
$2000

Football: Bombers lose shootout

The football team (3—3, 1—3 Empire 8 ) succumbed to the Springfield College Pride (4—2, 2—2 Empire 8 ) 38-33 today in Springfield, Mass.

Springfield senior quarterback Josh Carter was the difference maker in the game, throwing for 97 yards with one touchdown, but his largest impact was in the running game. He ran for 224 yards on 15 carries with three touchdowns.

The Pride utilized an option offense that Salisbury University had previously used against the Bombers in the Sea Gulls’ 21-7 victory. Senior running back Mark Safer also added 90 yards and a touchdown on the ground for the Pride on eight carries.

Springfield accounted for 435 total yards on the ground against a Bomber defense that had led the Empire 8 Conference in points allowed with an average of 15.8 points per game.

The South Hill squad was also interchanging quarterbacks throughout the game. The Bombers lined up three men under center during game play. Junior Jason Hendel went six for 10, passing for 98 yards and a touchdown. Junior Pat Griffin went eight for 12 for 82 yards, adding 16 yards on the ground for a touchdown. Both quarterbacks threw one interception.  Sophomore Phil Nuemann filled in for as signal caller on the team’s final drive, going four for eight for 36 yards. Nuemann lead the Bombers all the way down to the Pride’s 14-yard line facing a five-point deficit with under two minutes remaining, but turned the ball over on downs.

Junior wide receiver Joe Ingrao notched 91 yards and a touchdown on four receptions. Sophomore running back Sal Sulla had a touchdown to go along with 68 yards on 12 carries.

It was a physical game, as Springfield College had 10 penalties for a total of 126 yards.

The Bombers return to action at 1:30 p.m. Saturday in an Empire 8 Conference game against Utica College.

$1275
$2000