$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Football: Bombers solid on all fronts in win at Union College

The football team notched its second win of the year, knocking off Union College (0—3) by a score of 37-18 yesterday in Schenectady, NY. The South Hill squad now leads the all-time series with the Dutchmen 5-3.

With 290 yards of total offense, the Bombers used a balanced approach to in the victory, throwing for 154 yards and running for 136 yards. The team went a perfect three for three on 4th down conversions, making big plays when they needed them.

Junior Jason Hendel got the start at quarterback and went 18 for 26 with one touchdown. He also rushed for two scores. Sophomore running back Sal Sulla handled the majority of the carries for the Blue and Gold, taking the ball 20 times for 56 yards. Junior running back Jarrett Naiden added a touchdown on the ground. Junior wide receiver Joseph Ingrao caught six balls for 70 yards and a touchdown.

Equally as effective was the defense’s playmaking ability. The Dutchmen only punted the ball once – a result of the Bombers’ three fumble recoveries and two interceptions. The Bombers were also was a force behind the line of scrimmage, tallying seven tackles for a loss.

On the defensive side of the ball, senior linebacker Joe Gilfedder and safety Kevin Cline led the Bombers with eight tackles. Senior linebacker Eric Toporoff and junior safety Josh Liemer both contributed with interceptions, while senior cornerback Spence White added a forced fumble.

White said the defensive playmaking could be attributed to a hot start by the offense.

“Our offense put some points on the board early it gave the defense some energy, some confidence,” White said. “We were able to dial up some blitzes and were a fast defense so that helped us a lot.”

Senior defensive back Mike Conti said the defense’s interceptions were aided by proactive mentalities.

“Toporoff’s pick came off of a flea flicker and that’s discipline,” he said. “Liemer’s pick came off of us really reading the quarterback staring down his targets.”

Conti said turnovers and effort also had an impact on the win.

“That’s guys getting to the ball and just ripping at that thing, punching,” he said. “The fact that we didn’t turn the ball over once, that’s a huge game changer there.”

The Bombers have a bye week next week and will face Hartwick College in their next game on Oct. 1 in Oneonta, N.Y.

$1495
$2000