$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Football: SUNY-Cortland takes 53rd Annual Cortaca Jug game

The football team fell to SUNY-Cortland 27–3 in the 53rd annual Cortaca Jug contest today at Butterfield Stadium.

It was the second straight victory for the Red Dragons, who topped the Blue and Gold 20–17 in last year’s matchup. The Bombers now lead the overall Cortaca series 34–19.

Graduate student quarterback Dan Pitcher shouldered the load for SUNY-Cortland, completing 23 of 36 passes for 280 yards and three touchdowns. He also had a game-high 94 yards rushing on 11 carries, most notably converting on a fourth down play inside the Bombers’ red zone in the third quarter.

Junior Jason Hendel got the start at quarterback and went 16 for 25 for 159 yards passing and two interceptions. Hendel was under the constant pressure of the Red Dragons’ pass rush, which earned eight sacks and forced the South Hill squad into many long yardage situations.

The most impactful play of the game for the Blue and Gold came on a fake punt where sophomore strong safety Tom Scanlon scampered for a 38-yard gain on fourth down. The team was unable to score a touchdown however.

Senior wide receiver Dan Ruffrage caught eight balls for 85 yards in a performance that earned him the first place spot on the program’s all-time receptions list.

Junior free safety Josh Liemer led the Bombers with six tackles on defense. The Bombers did not record a single sack on the day or account for any turnovers. Cortland was able to intercept two passes, one being inside their own red zone when the Bombers were putting together a promising drive.

Cortland outgained the Bombers on offense with 417 yards to their 226 and earned double the amount of first downs.

The Bombers finished the season with an overall record of 4–6, while going 2–5 in the Empire 8 Conference.

$1495
$2000