$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

IC women’s tennis claims 12th consecutive Empire 8 title

CONNOR LANGE/THE ITHACAN

The Ithaca College women’s tennis team took its 12th consecutive Empire 8 Conference title after two days of play Oct. 14–15, keeping its dual match record at a flawless 10–0.

The Bombers came out on top over the Hartwick College 5–0 and 5–2 over Stevens Institute of Technology Ducks.

On the first day of play, the Bombers swept Hartwick College in doubles play to start out with a 3–0 lead. Senior Haley Kusak and sophomore Caroline Dunn defeated junior Heidi Rice and sophomore Rose Natoli 8–1. Freshman Brianna Ruback and sophomore Taylor Ginestro won 8–3 over juniors Kelly Napolitano and Kelli Ryan, and sophomore Kathryn Sheffer and senior Maddie Overholt defeated their opponents seniors Caitie O’Brien and Caitlin Hawley 8–0.

In singles matches, the Bombers clinched a victory when Dunn won 6–0 and 6–1 over Napolitano, and Shaffer won 6–0 and 6–0 over O’Brien.

The following day, The Ducks’ junior Katrina Guido and sophomore Sydney Zoretic beat the Bombers’ Ginestro and Ruback in doubles play 8–6 after back and forth play.

Kusak and Dunn were able to even the score back up when they defeated senior Alexis Conner and freshman Isabella Calandra 8–4.

Shaffer and Overholt had a come from behind 9–8 victory over sophomores Julia Earl and Jill Hadwen. They were down 7–5 and Earl and Hadwen had the chance to close them out, but the Bombers fought back to take the win.

Ruback won her singles match over Guido 6–0 and 6–0, and senior Jodi Grosberg was defeated by Calandra.

Kusak was able to defeat Conner 6–1, 6–3 and Shaffer beat the Ducks’ freshman Nicole Badalyan 6–4, 6–2.

The match was stopped when the Bombers had clinched the victory. Dunn and Overholt were still in play.

This is the Bombers’ 14th Empire 8 title since head coach Bill Austin came to the college in 2000. Since the Bombers are transitioning to the Liberty League next year, this will be their last Empire 8 title.

The Bombers will start back up in the spring with their out of season tournaments.

$1495
$2000