$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Men’s lacrosse: Bombers drop home game to Union

The men’s lacrosse team suffered its first loss, falling 11–7 to Union College at Higgins Stadium.

The Bombers took 32 shots, but placed only 18 on goal. Senior captain Mike Silipo said facing Union’s left handed goaltender, Sean Aaron, was a dream come true for a right-handed shooter like himself.

“You know, bottom right on a lefty is the hardest shot for him to save,” Silipo said. “We just couldn’t do it. We were shooting high to high.”

On the defensive side, the South Hill squad scooped only 11 ground balls to the Dutchmen’s 24. Junior defensemen Will Kraus said Union played more physical than the Blue and Gold.

“They were very aggressive getting to ground balls,” Kraus said. “They out-manned us today.”

After trailing 3–1, the Bombers fought back to tie the game at 4–4 midway through the second period. Junior attack Devin Weinshank netted his 14th goal of the season off a pass from junior attack Tom Mongelli.

Union responded with four unanswered goals to take an 8–4 lead in the third period. The Bombers fought back and scored the next three included two man-up goals from freshman midfielder Jake Long and senior midfielder Ryan Lowe respectively.

The Dutchmen took control of the final period, scoring three unanswered goals, which included two man-up goals of their own.

Both Union and Ithaca recorded eight penalties in the game. Silipo led all Bombers with 1:30 of man-down time, including a 30-second assessment for misconduct.

Sillipo took a hit to the head in the third period, knocking him off his feet and causing him to clutch his helmet. Silipo did return to the game and said he was fine.

“My head was down and I just couldn’t see him,” Silipo said. “It just tingles a little bit but I’m fine.”

The Bombers will look to rebound from its first home loss of the season at 7 p.m. Wednesday when it travels to SUNY-Cortland.

$1375
$2000