$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Men’s Soccer: Bombers fall to #17 Hobart in overtime

The men’s soccer team lost a closely contested match last night at Higgins Stadium to the 17th ranked Hobart College Statesmen. The game remained scoreless for 90 minutes and the Statesmen tallied the game-winning goal 1:40 into overtime.

Hobart College junior midfielder Ian McGarty brought the ball in behind the defense, where he then sent a low cross to the front of the net for sophomore forward Tommy Hayes. Hayes one-touched the ball past the oncoming keeper for the game-winning goal.

Hobart College sophomore defender Kaeghan Kelly said his team controlled the ball well, but just couldn’t get the attack past the Bomber defense.

“We stayed patient,” he said. “We possessed the ball really well but couldn’t find that final ball to get someone on goal.”

Sophomore forward Nick Murad led the Bombers’ offense with three shots. He said though the team didn’t capitalize on its opportunities, he was still pleased with the play.

“There were some chances that we didn’t finish,” he said. “Collectively it was a good effort. It’s disappointing to lose in overtime, but we can take a lot out of this game.”

Head Coach Andy Byrne had similar sentiments. He said the team kept pace with stiff competition and learned lessons to carry over to the next game.

“There were moments in the game where we were struggling against a very good team,” he said. “But we were able to compose ourselves, figure some things out and get ourselves back in the game. That’s something hopefully they’ll take out of the game and bring into the next game.”

Freshman goalkeeper Jordan Gentile got the start and made five saves, including a breakaway stop in the 16th minute.

The Bombers next game is 1 p.m. Saturday at Higgins Stadium against Empire 8 Conference opponent Utica College.

$1495
$2000