•  

September 25, 2017   |   Ithaca, NY

Sports

Men’s Soccer: Bombers shutout for first loss

The men’s soccer team came up just short again Sunday, losing to the SUNY-Brockport Golden Eagles 1-0 in the third place game of the Doug May Classic hosted by the Rochester Institute of Technology. It was the first loss of the season for the Bombers and the first time this season they had been shut out.

In the Blue and Gold’s first game of the tournament, the team played host RIT to a 1-1 draw but eventually lost 4-2 on penalty kicks and were denied a chance to play Nazareth for the tournament title. In their second game of the tournament, the Bombers’ held their opponent scoreless in the first half for the first time this season, but ran into trouble early in the second half. In the 46th minute, senior goalkeeper Justin Parlapiano saved a shot by Brockport junior midfielder Jeff Wild moments before Brockport freshman forward Bobby Ross sent the ball into the net to give the Golden Eagles a 1-0 lead that they never relinquished.

Despite Ross’ goal, Parlapiano made a season-high 10 saves for the Bombers on 11 Brockport shots on goal. Sophomore forward Colton Wigsten led the Bombers with a game-high three shots. The Blue and Gold are now 0-1-2 on the season. The team’s next game is away at Hamilton College at 2:30 p.m. Saturday.