$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Men’s Soccer: Squad earns first win of season

The men’s soccer team notched its first victory of the season Saturday, beating St. John Fisher College 1-0 at Carp Wood Field. The match was the first Empire 8 conference game of the season for the Bombers.

Junior back Ryan Norland scored the game’s only goal in the 39th minute off a corner kick that was headed up and over the goalkeeper to the near post.

Head Coach Andy Byrne said his team’s corner kicks were executed well and it is something they have been practicing.

“We were dangerous on our corner kicks,” he said. “We’ve been working on that, and it’s been coming through the games. We’ve been getting closer and closer.”

Freshman goalkeeper Jordan Gentile earned his second straight shutout, making two saves. The defense held strong in front of him, allowing only five shots.

The Blue and Gold also got contributions from freshman forward Casey Williamson, who controlled the ball and made key passes from the central midfield position. But the team felt as though they did not play as well as in the second half. Norland said the Bombers should have possessed the ball better to preserve their lead.

“Especially in the last 15 minutes, we could have kept the ball,” he said. “We should have just brought it to the corner and held it.”

Despite their poor play in the second half, sophomore forward James Shankland, who got the assist on Norland’s goal, said Bombers were still happy to end the winless streak.

“We were getting into a little slump there, but we played well in this game and pulled out the win,” he said.

The South Hill squad will play its next game against St. Lawrence University at 3 p.m. next Sunday on Carp Wood Field.

$1495
$2000