$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Men’s Soccer: Squad falls in thrilling game

The men’s soccer team lost its final game of the regular season 2–1 today to the Elmira College Soaring Eagles at Higgins Stadium.

The game was scoreless for 83 minutes, as both teams created chances but could not capitalize. Freshman Jordan Gentile made three saves for the Bombers in goal while senior Jared Micheller turned away nine shots for the Soaring Eagles.

The Bombers opened up the scoring in the 84th minute when freshman midfielder Adam Tamburello delivered a cross to freshman forward Tim Goldman at the top of the penalty area. Goldman settled the ball, spun around and shot the ball low to the left corner past the diving keeper.

Just one minute later, Elmira College senior midfielder Ted Michelson tied the game on a free kick from about 30 yards away. He curved the ball over the four-man wall and into the left side of the net.

The Soaring Eagles netted the game-winning goal minutes later, as a cross from the right corner found senior defender Alston Eldridge wide open at the 6 yardline. He then one-timed the ball past Gentile, who had no chance to stop it.

Senior defender Matt Anthony said the loss was a result of not focusing.

“It was just a lack of concentration,” he said. “Everybody didn’t concentrate after we scored the goal.”

Head Coach Andy Byrne expressed similar sentiments, while giving credit to Elmira College’s effort.

“I just thought we got a little panicky and we lost our focus,” he said. “They came at us hard and, to their credit, earned the two goals.”

The loss drops the Blue and Gold to the fourth seed in the Empire 8 Conference tournament, forcing them to play an away game at top ranked Stevens Institute of Technology. The semifinal match is scheduled for 4 p.m. Friday.

$1495
$2000