$1275
$2000

Men’s tennis loses first match of season to Rochester

CONNOR LANGE/THE ITHACAN

The Ithaca College men’s tennis team opened the 2017 spring season on Feb. 19 with an 8–1 road loss to the University of Rochester. The Yellowjackets improve to 3–2 overall as the Bombers drop to 0–1.

Freshman Minos Stavrakas was the only player to secure a win on the day for the Bombers.

Stavrakas battled in a three-set match with Rochester’s top flight sophomore Masaru Fujimaki, taking the opening set 7–6. Fujimaki fought back in the second-set with a 7–5 win, leading to a decisive third-set where Stavrakas earned a victory in a 15 point set 10–5.

The Yellowjackets took hold of the lead over the South Hill squad after winning all doubles flights.

The Bomber’s top flight Stavrakas and sophomore Michael Gardiner put up a tough fight, but were outlasted by junior Aaron Mevorach and Fujimaki of Rochester in an 8–7 decision.

Also starting strong for the Bombers but coming up short were the second flight doubles pair of senior Wes Davis and junior Lorenzo Viguie-Ramos.

Davis and Viguie-Ramos started with momentum, winning four games, but Rochester’s junior Andrew Nunno and senior Sam Leeman took control of the game and won 8–4.

The Bomber’s single flights second-through-sixth were also swept by Rochester.

The Yellowjackets secured the win over the Bombers after defeating fourth and second flight singles freshman Colten Lavery, 6–2, 6–2  and Davis 6–1, 6–3 respectively.

The South Hill squad’s third and fifth flight singles Gardiner and senior Nathan Wolf both grabbed five wins a piece but each dropped 6–3, 6–2 decisions to Rochester.

The Bombers will continue their season against St. Lawrence University at 11 a.m. Feb. 25 in the Athletics and Events Center.

$1275
$2000